Monday, April 30, 2012

Book Review: Darkhouse by Karina Halle


Darkhouse (Experiments in Terror #1)

Karina Halle


Publication Date: May 1st 2011

Publisher: Metal Blonde Books

Pages: 326

Genre: Horror, Paranormal

With all the vampire, werewolf and faerie books out there, it's easy to become numb to all things supernatural. The antidote? Darkhouse introduces two real and unforgettable characters, Perry Palomino & Dex Foray, amateur ghost hunters who are "attractive, relatable and oddly heroic," "flawed but loveable," "slightly crazy" and just the most endearing pair to ever tackle the paranormal...just don't call them normal. Darkhouse is a thrilling and sexy new take on concepts like Supernatural and The X-Files, bringing a breath of fresh air to a genre that has been inundated with the dead.


When I first read Darkhouse I was absolutely blown away. It combined so many of my favourite things: great done characters, mockumentaries and ghost hunting. Yes, those would be a few of my favourite things, do not judge.

Anyway, I stumbled across this book quite by accident, in other words it was being offered as a free book to try reading, and so I was like "Why not?", of course I was not expecting the level of writing that it held. Something about the prose captures my generation (I am twenty-three, while Perry Palamino is Twenty Two) perfectly for me. Reading it was almost like hanging out with my friends, I recognized the inside jokes and felt included.

This could have a lot to do with the fact that I can't help but see so much of me in Perry. Both of us are graduates who are not being given a chance to use what we studied (I currently work at a mall store and PetSmart, I studied Japanese and Graphic Design), due to economy and luck. We both live at home with our familes, and we both have major issues in our past (I will admit that Perry's wins hands down though, my troubles were of a very different sort). I think a lot of people in their twenties will connect well with Perry, because she is us, yet at the same time she is one-hundred percent her own character.

Also, I would totally fall in love with Dex, I have trouble believing him as a character, because he's just so close to the dream guy (yes complete with his crazy self).

Anyway, back to the book itself. Darkhouse is paranormal, but for me it is very inspired by horror. I got an adrenaline rush reading this book the first time (less so the second, but I did know what was coming this time around). There are a few times where I would get lost because my brain would rush past words trying to get to the next part to find out what happens next

It surprises me so much that this book isn't as well known as other books as it really is magically delicious.

I mean what is better than two slightly crazy people trying to film a ghost hunting documentary show for the internet?



I recommend this book to anyone who likes ghost hunter shows, mockumentaries and horror books. I also recommend this book for people who love paranormal but want to try something unique. There are so few paranormal books that treat ghosts horror style like this, really guys, give this book a chance.




4.5 Bookmarks



0 comments:

Post a Comment