Friday, April 13, 2012

Book Review: Spy Glass by Maria V. Snyder


Spy Glass (Glass #3)

Maria V. Snyder


Review of Sea Glass (Glass #2)

Publication Date:
August 31st 2010

Publisher: Mira Books

Pages: 535

Genre: Fantasy

An undercover mission leads to danger, adventure and an impossible choice. 

After siphoning her own blood magic in the showdown at Hubal, Opal Cowan has lost her powers. She can no longer create glass magic. More, she's immune to the effects of magic. Opal is now an outsider looking in, spying through the glass on those with the powers she once had, powers that make a difference in the world. Until spying through the glass becomes her new power. Suddenly, the beautiful pieces she makes flash in the presence of magic. And then she discovers that someone has stolen some of her blood - and that finding it might let her regain her powers. Or know it could be they are lost forever.

Where to begin? Where to begin? Well I guess with AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Spy Glass is quite the epic ending to what I shall call "The Adventures in Sitia". The book follows Opal figuring out what she wants to do with her life, even before she lost her magic she had absolutely no idea, and now she does not know where to even begin to plan since there's a chance she might get it back and a chance she might not.

It honestly did not end up where I thought it would when I began it, but I like the way it did end up a lot more.

I can't help but be so proud of Opal who has grown so much since her entrance in the Study Series. She has so much more confidence in herself. It's just so satisfying for me to see so much character growth. Devlen as well is full of character growth and what I really like about him as a character is that he becomes a lesson for Opal and for the readers, that people can change, actually change. I also do not find farfetched that he was truly in love with Opal from Storm Glass even if addiction, power and desire had twisted him so much at the time.

This book is definitely pushed by the characters rather than the plot, which is good or me since I am a character-driven story person all the way.

I feel redundant saying this about the Glass Series, but once again I loved learning more and more about the clans and specifics about them. This time we got a look into Sitia's prison system, which I found fascinating. Snyder does her research for things in her books (lock picking being a beautiful example) and that really shows through in this one.



Obviously I recommend this book to anyone who has read Sea Glass. If the review interests you at all, I recommend starting with the Study Series with Yelena and Poison Study. Altogether the two series are a very enjoyable read, well researched and filled with enjoyable and depth filled characters.


5 Bookmarks



0 comments:

Post a Comment