Saturday, May 19, 2012

Book Review: Kat, Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis



Kat, Incorrigible (The Unladylike Adventures of Kat Stephenson #1)

Stephanie Burgis


Publication Date: April 1st 2010

Publisher: Atheneum

Pages: 304

Genre: Historical, Fantasy, Middle-Grade

Katherine Ann Stephenson has just discovered that she's inherited her mother's magical talents, and despite Stepmama's stern objections, she's determined to learn how to use them. But with her eldest sister Elissa's intended fiancé, the sinister Sir Neville, showing a dangerous interest in Kat's magical potential; her other sister, Angeline, wreaking romantic havoc with her own witchcraft; and a highwayman lurking in the forest, even Kat's reckless heroism will be tested to the upmost. If she can learn to control her new powers, will Kat be able to rescue her family and win her sisters their true love?


Either I am predisposed to love the books I'm reading or I'm just picking up better books, because I feel like most of the books I've read lately have been 4.5/5 Bookmark books, Kat, Incorrigible rates up there as well.

Kat, Incorrigible is historical, fantastical and all around adorable. Staring a plucky, rebellious young heroine (which I always adore) and her overbearing, but loving sisters and the strange and magical adventures they get themselves to.

The greatest achievement of this book are the characters, hands down. The characterization reminded me greatly of a Diana Wynne Jones: clever, caricatured, but full of heart. The way magic was approached in the book was also originally done, which I enjoyed.

There is a sequel to this book that I feel excited to read. This book sets up a world, and I would love to read a book exploring this entertaining world.



I recommend this book to anyone who loves MG Fantasy, especially those who love the characterizations that usually come from Diana Wynne Jones. I am also slightly reminded of the Theodosia series.


4.5 Bookmarks

1 comments:

Mel@Thedailyprophecy said...

What an incredibly cute cover ^^ And a rebellion as a main heroin is always something I like, so I'm going to check this one out. Thanks!

Post a Comment