Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday: Dust Girl



Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by 
Breaking the Spine and spotlights upcoming novels we can't wait to read. This week’s choice is:

Dust Girl

Sarah Zettel


Expected Publication Date: June 26th 2012


Callie LeRoux lives in Slow Run, Kansas, helping her mother run their small hotel and trying not to think about the father she’s never met. Lately all of her energy is spent battling the constant storms plaguing the Dust Bowl and their effects on her health. Callie is left alone, when her mother goes missing in a dust storm. Her only hope comes from a mysterious man offering a few clues about her destiny and the path she must take to find her parents in "the golden hills of the west" (California).

Along the way she meets Jack a young hobo boy who is happy to keep her company—there are dangerous, desperate people at every turn. And there’s also an otherworldly threat to Callie. Warring fae factions, attached to the creative communities of American society, are very aware of the role this half-mortal, half-fae teenage girl plays in their fate.


Why
What can I say? I love Americanized Fairies! I'm not talking about Seelie and Unseelie type, but ones that seem very American Frontier (Part of the reason I love Patricia C. Wrede's Frontier Magic series). I also have a soft spot for stories about the dust bowl. I find that time a good example of American stubbornness and survival. Also hobos!



...


In general this was a book I put on my TBR list and then realized shortly afterwards it wasn't out yet causing great unhappiness. I'm sure I'll be getting it as soon as I can.

1 comments:

Truly Bookish said...

I've seen this around and I'm very curious about this book. It sounds so original! I'm following you now so I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of it.
NC
Truly Bookish

Post a Comment